College Transition Groups for Social Success
Do you know a student who is academically ready for college but struggles socially?
Our social learning groups and individual sessions meet one to two times per week under the guidance of an experienced, licensed and certified professional.
Groups address the practical skills necessary to navigate the complex social demands of the college environment including but not limited to:
Date: Six weeks
July 8 - August 15, 2013
Time: Mondays 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
90 min sessions
- Roommate expectations, problem-solving strategies, and communication strategies
- Campus life - getting involved, navigating "the scene", and social networking
- Friendship skills - choosing a group that's right for you, presenting "your best self", friendship problem solving skills
- Conversational skills - initiating conversation, entering group conversation, keeping the conversation going, closing the conversation, and understanding non-verbal language
- Interviewing skills - college admissions
- Healthy choices - facing the many choices of campus life and independence
- Time management - how to create and manage a plan
- Planning, organizing and goal setting to improve executive function skills
- Self-advocacy skills - knowing when to ask for help and knowing who the appropriate supports are for specified needs, and building self-esteem and confidence
Let’s discuss how we can help. Schedule an appointment today. Call (609) 924-7080, email or contact us online.